I’m a habitual Craigslist troller, and when I found this Jet “bench grinder” for $100 I snatched it up. It was a 3450 RPM 1 HP deal, with a 4X48″ belt sander on one side, and a 8″ grinding wheel on the other. I had a 2X48″ Kalamazoo (partial) belt grinder that I wanted to adapt to the wheel side, so that I could have multiple grit capabilities on the same machine. Belt grinders are about as handy as it gets for fabrication, and this seemed to a good way to go.
Heres how I got it (I got the wheel guard too), prior to tearing the wheel off. I’ve got enough grinding wheels, and didn’t need another.
Heres the factory Bang Pow wheel; hardly been used, as was the rest of the grinder.
This is the Kalamazoo belt grinder I got on Ebay. I was really disappointed in the overall quality of Kalamazoo, and just tossed it off to the side. It looked like it might fit the JET pretty close and I could always improve the parts that were just junk (the belt guard and tensioner).
The drive wheel and adapter for the Kala shares the same shaft diameter as the JET, so it was off to the races.
After a quick test fit, it was clear I was going to have to do some trimming and fitting.
This is the Kalamazoo mount. I’m going to have to adapt it to the JET.
Shouldn’t be too hard, just whip up a round mount on the lathe.
First thing was to trim the wheel adapter, so that the wheel spacing will be right for the belt to line up with the grinder idler wheel. I just made an arbor to trim the wheel mount.
This should do it as far as alignment.
Next: the grinder mount/adapter.
The blank mount. Pretty good fit.
I layed out the bolt circle and drilled them out on the Bridgeport. Just straight through holes (no countersink) because the holes were right on the outer edge.
Just a quick test fit, before I make a few adjustments. Looks like it might work!
Heres the finished mount. I had to trim just a hair off the bolt heads, so that it would clear the mount bore.
The first test: I HAD to round the corners on the rest on the Kalamazoo; it had gouged my back 3 or 4 times while I was working on it. This is where belt grinders really shine, and this one is no different. The rounding process took about one minute.
The final product: mounted to one of my patented axel shaft stands. I can see this tool will get alot of use. It has the advantage of using the same 48″ belt as my 6X48″ Wilton grinder. This should make buying belts easier. I’ll park it next to the Wilton, and be able to grind with tree different grits within a few feet of each other.
Future plans are to fabricate a better belt guard and tensioner for the Kalamazoo (the YELLOW grinder). There is ALOT of rattling going on with the Kalamazoo; getting rid of the cheap guard on it should help in that department. I’ll post any improvements to it that I get done. I’m looking forward to just using it a little. Pretty good investment for $100.