Changing an Arbor on a Jacobs Drill Chuck

drill chucks 001

 

Anyone who owns old machines probably scours Ebay for orphaned tooling for their pride and joy. One of the benefits/curses of that pastime is that you tend to accumulate broken/wore out tooling. Some of the broken drill chucks I have acquired over the years are starting to look pretty good to me considering some of the prices I’m seeing online, these days. Last year I bought an Llambrich drill chuck (made in Spain by Jacobs Chucks) at the CAMS Yard Sale with an R8 arbor that worked real nice (initially, anyway). The last time I used it there seemed to be an awful lot of runout, and I put it aside for future investigation. Today I decided to take a look at it……………..

 

Read more

Optimizing Shop Space (or: A Corner Shelf From Scrap)

001

 

There is a corner in my shop that is more or less dead space. For some reason its too small to fit any machines in, and all kind of Use-it-once-a-month stuff finds it’s way there. I don’t have enough room in my shop to waste any space, and this space was crying to get filled with something for quite a while. I can’t put a filing cabinet or any conventional kind of shelf in there; its just too small an area.

About a month ago, one of the contractors at work sold me a small pile of plate steel for what amounts to beer money. I have been sitting on about 600 LBS of 7/16″ fish plate in varying shapes. I had one 36″ round that looked like it would be a good candidate  for a corner shelf, if it was quartered.

 

Read more

Fixing a Chinese Arbor Press (or Polishing a Turd)

I’ve had a couple of projects lingering around here longer than normal, waiting for some press work, and decided tonight to get to work. A while back I bought a cheap 3 ton arbor press from a new (to me) supplier. From the price, it was obviously Chinese, and I knew it was bound to be a project from jump street. I wasn’t really prepared for what I got. To be fair; the company I bought it from (which will remain nameless) disassembled the press and shipped it in two boxes, so that it would meet the UPS 80 LB limit, which was good of them as it saved me a big chunk of change. I was so bummed by the quality of the press that it has sat un-used for about six months; crude would be an understatement. The casting looks like it was cleaned up by an epileptic with a chainsaw. The first time I tried to use it, the drawbar slipped in the ratchet and d@mn near knocked me out. I stuffed the turd in the corner and started looking at other options, and my projects I had bought it for sat on the shelf. I had a nice hand wheel that I wanted to mount to my horizontal mill and a $100 broach to cut the 3/8″ square hole, and no press to do it with. Tonight I decided to fix the problem. Heres a look at the ratchet ring that came on the press.

 

 

You can see that the problem is that the gear was cut with more than a 90 degree step in it, and the ratchet cog would slip right off of it. I had to get a step that would capture the cog better. I figured the best way to do that was just under-cut the ratchet tooth with a dovetail cutter. The only cutter I had was a 60 degree (would have been better off with a 45), but I figured there was enough meat there so I gave it a try.

 

Read more