This one is just for fun, I started off needing to fix my DeWalt miter saw (a dumpster diva that stopped working). The saw was near new, and I figured it had a loose wire or something, so I took it apart to investigate. I’m far from being an expert on electric motors, but I’ve had some luck with bringing the dead back to life lately, so I thought I’d give it a try. The problem was pretty obvious once I got a look at the armature……..
The brushes were worn out and wallowed out the commutator on the armature pretty bad, so I decided to take a page out of the old South Bend Lathe book and turn down the commutator like the old timers did. Worth a try anyway. I located a set of brushes on Ebay for $6 and fired up the lathe……….